Section 184 Loan
What is The Section 184 Loan Guarantee Program?
The Section 184 Loan Program is designed to provide access to mortgage financing for Native American and Alaska Native tribal members. Section 184 home loans are guaranteed 100% by the Office of Loan Guarantee within HUD's Office of Native American Programs.
To qualify for a Section 184 loan, at least one borrower must be an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe
Why Should I Use the Section 184 Loan
Advantages to using the Section 184 loan:
- Low Down Payment: 2.25% on loans over $50,000.
- Low Interest Rates: Based on market rates, not applicants credit scores.
- Manual Underwriting: The program utilizes a flexible hands-on approach to underwriting and approval.
- Section 184 Upfront Guarantee Fee Annual Mortgage Insurance: A one-time up front guarantee fee is paid at closing and can be financed into the loan. In addition, loans with a loan value of 78% or greater will be subject to a small monthly mortgage insurance premium.
- Protection From Predatory Lending: The program monitors the fees approved lenders can charge Native borrowers. Section 184 loans cannot be used for Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARM's).
- Knowledgeable Staff: Our staff understands the unique circumstances associated with lending on Native Lands and we work with borrowers to achieve home ownership and avoid default and foreclosure.
- Purchase existing home
- Construct new home
- Rehabilitate a home
- Purchase and Rehabilitate home
- Refinance home